FIVE GYMNASTICS LEGENDS TO BE HONORED BY
THE INTERNATIONAL GYMNASTICS HALL OF FAME
Class of 2012 to join prestigious group
OKLAHOMA CITY – Five international gymnastics legends will be honored at the 16th annual International Gymnastics Hall of Fame (IGHOF) Ceremony on May 19, 2012, at the Petroleum Club in Oklahoma City.
The class of 2012 honorees includes:
- Kim Zmeskal (USA) – First American World All-Around Champion, 1992 Olympic Bronze medalist.
- Natalia Shaposhnikova (RUS)- Winner of 4 medals, including 2 gold, at the 1980 Olympics.
- Zoltan Magyar (HUN) – 1976 and 1980 Olympic gold medalist, and 3 time World Champion on the pommel horse.
- Vera Caslavska (CZE)- Winner of 11 Olympic medals, including 7 gold, in the 1964 and 1968 Olympics.
- Doug Wilson (USA) will be awarded the first Frank Bare Award for his significant contributions to popularizing gymnastics as an Emmy award-winning TV producer for ABC's Wide World of Sports.
Over the past fifteen years, 76 of gymnastics greatest stars and contributors, representing 20 countries, have been formally inducted into the Hall of Fame.
"We are thrilled with the selection of the Class of 2012, and we are especially excited to finally celebrate the induction of Vera Caslavska, who was not able to be with us when she was originally inducted in 1998," said Bart Conner, President of the IGHOF Board.
The International Gymnastics Hall of Fame continues to preserve, promote and share the achievements of our sport's greatest legends. Through the IGHOF exhibit at the Science Museum Oklahoma in the Adventure District in Oklahoma City, visitors can view the Wall of Fame - portraits of all inductees, and other sculptures, pictures, paintings and videos. Children can also try out some gymnastics training equipment at the exhibit.
The International Gymnastics Hall of Fame is a dynamic, forward-looking organization that celebrates the athletic and artistic excellence of our sport's most accomplished athletes and legends, and connects them with future generations of young gymnasts and fans.
For tickets to the IGHOF ceremony, contact Lynn Landis, at Paul Ziert and Associates at 405-364-5344.
For media requests, contact Alisha East, at Alisha@bartconnergymnastics.com or 405-447-7500.